Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Timo_S

Finland
66 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  02:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Aaron, nice that you noticed the color, I choose white exaxctly for that originality reason. I found only one brand here in My hometown part shops, that makes white protection spray.

http://www.motip.com/products/motip/automotive/underbody-coatings/stone-chip-spray-high-solid/

Cheers
Timo
Go to Top of Page

Timo_S

Finland
66 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  09:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the engine and gearbox installed. It was actually easier case than I thought. Only minor issues occured. Worst was, the engine bracket flages were moved 4cm forwards in 6.9. Luckily the brackets are tilted enough forwards from the middle point, as you can see in the first picture. So I had to change the brackets from left to right an vice versa. Also I had to do opening in the firewall for right exhaust manifold.

Timo

Edited by - Timo_S on 12/20/2015 09:16:57
Go to Top of Page

Gael

769 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2015 :  20:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good progress!

I don't know in the case of the M100, but in the case of the M116 and M117 the engine brackets are not the same length. So swapping them sides would move the engine laterally too.

Edited by - Gael on 12/21/2015 20:55:39
Go to Top of Page

Timo_S

Finland
66 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  02:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

you got it right, the brackets also in M100 have about 1cm difference also in length, left one is longer. Actually this difference made things easier. The right manifold is a bit wider than original and now the swap gave more room for it. Of course it causes a small error in longitudinal straightness, but error is so minimal, so I will accept it.

But now I faced a new task, the 6.9 left manifold has only 5mm gap to steering box, as the 6.9 cyl. 8 exhaust port is moved 8cm. backwards. So I have to move the engine additional 3cm's forward to gave some room between manifold and steering box. I'll make first just small extensions from steel bar, to find the correct place. Then I'll take the brackets out, measure them and weld new ones from laser cut sheet metal.

In first pic is the 6.3 exhaust manifold the rest are from 6.9.

Timo
Go to Top of Page

Gael

769 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  04:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't you use the 6.3 manifolds? Is inner diameter different? Also, you seem to say that engine brackets do not fit in the same place on the 6.9. I would have imagined that engine brackets and exhaust manifolds are a straight fit and the engine would have ended at the same place as the 6.3.
Go to Top of Page

Timo_S

Finland
66 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  05:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The manifolds don't fit. If you check the pictures the cyl 8 intake and exhaust valves have been swapped. So 7. and 8. cyl inlet channels are side by side in 6.9. This means that the 8. cyl exhaust channel is moved to end of cylinder head. Also the flanges have differen bolt pattern. The cylinder head flanges have been moved about 3cm. "in" the head. The 8. spark plug is moved too to new position.

Timo
Go to Top of Page

mpmorris

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  09:30:54  Show Profile  Visit mpmorris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As a thought, Jack posted an ebau ad for a set of hand made 6.3 headers that might be adapted to the 6.9 and achieve your clearance issue around the steering box once adapted --maybe easier to lengthen, then modify flanges to fit the 6.9 heads rather than moving the engine forward? Don't know myself 'cause I've never laid a set of 6.3 manifolds to 6.9 heads.
Go to Top of Page

Timo_S

Finland
66 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  13:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, thanks for tip. I have to check the headers, but at this point I'm just actious to get on the road, so I'll keep the originals.

Timo
Go to Top of Page

Timo_S

Finland
66 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2015 :  14:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I tried to find the headers, but I couldn't find them. Do you "mpmorris" have a link?

Timo
Go to Top of Page

mpmorris

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2015 :  14:36:10  Show Profile  Visit mpmorris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gael recently posted it under 'General Discussion' with link. (performance exhaust)
Go to Top of Page

Timo_S

Finland
66 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2015 :  11:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I think I'm still going to make them myself. I got new set meant to Buick, those are quite easy to modify to suit 6.9... If I get the feeling, that headers are needed.

Timo
Go to Top of Page

Gael

769 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2015 :  12:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you absolutely fixed on a 6.9 engine? Otherwise an M117 5.6L with r107 560SL exhaust manifolds and 3.5/4.5 engine brackets is a direct fit, sits right where a 3.5 would sit and the exhaust clears everything. Just as if MB built it. Advantages are a much lighter engine, a better balanced car and similar power and torque as a 6.9. You can backdate ignition and injection to early 5.0 to get rid of all electronics. The result is a bulletproof fast car. That's what I did on my w113 Pagoda and I'm about repeat it on my wife's Fintail.

Edited by - Gael on 12/25/2015 12:33:37
Go to Top of Page

Timo_S

Finland
66 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2015 :  15:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I'm fixed to 6.9. I have to admid.

I know that M117 is quite easy case, I had the engine and all the parts to fit to w109 in my garage allready. Made some test with broken engine block and M117 5.0 to my old w108. But then I end up selling the parts, M117 and even the W108 too.

Sounds stupid, but I like to do something different. It is also the jorney, not only the result for me.

Timo
Go to Top of Page

Gael

769 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2015 :  01:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you it's all about the journey. Mine took me the other way round. I bought a W111 Coupe that had been fitted with a 6,9 engine. I didn't like the way it drove, it was quite nose heavy. This is how I shifted to a M117 alloy block. A W109 is different though, it has a longer wheel base and air suspension. FYI, that Coupe with a 6.9 engine had bespoke lug exhaust manifolds. I sold that engine long time ago, so I unfortunately can't get them to you.
Go to Top of Page

Timo_S

Finland
66 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2015 :  04:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right. if I would be after handling M100 wouldn't be the first choise. I would also go for aluminium M117 or then M104, actually I got already M104 AMG 3.6 engine waiting, but end up selling that too. The M104 is exellent engine, revy, nice looking and fuel efficent. You find also different manual gearboxes easily so you don'f have to worry fear axle ratios. My friend is building w108 with charged M104 and Jag rear axle.

But back to my project. I try to reduce front weight by changing steering pump, oil coler, suspension lines and valves and brake booster to lighter ones. Moving suspension airpump and battery to booth. Removing AC and electric windows and maybe changching seats to lighter ones. My goal is about 50-70kg weight loss and better weight distribution.

Timo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06