New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fredmoss

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2018 :  11:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Its been a long long time since i have posted.....

Im having a couple of issues that i cannot solve, firstly, after making turns to the left or right, the brake pedal has 2 inches of extra travel, it comes back to normal position if pressed again.
I first though it was pad knock back due to loose wheel bearings etc but after checking, they are all good with no play at the front at all and very little at the rear end, no different to how the car was before the issue, i changed the master cylinder and put new pads, then a new issue occurred, whilst cornering to the right i i brake i get a horrid juddering that seems to come from the right rear, if i straighten the wheel it stops.....any ideas???
Fred

rumb

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2018 :  15:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would double check for air in the lines. Also how old are the flexible brake lines? They deteriorate on the inside and cause pads to stay compressed. A vacuum bleeder works great to pull all the air out of the lines. did you use brake paste 001-989-94-51-12 on the back and edges of the pads and other rub points?

rumb
68 250S, 77 450SEL 6.9, 91 300SE, 98 SL500, 14 CLS550
Go to Top of Page

james lawson

USA
1338 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  02:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of things to check. Brake hold down bearings ,grease them, though itís usually backing up. Brake hold down bushings at the other end of the arm. They look like small sway bar bushings. Loose caliper? Differential mount in trunk area.

jim
Go to Top of Page

fredmoss

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  06:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No air in the system and i have changed out all rubber hoses for Aeroquip braided nylon1

quote:
Originally posted by rumb

I would double check for air in the lines. Also how old are the flexible brake lines? They deteriorate on the inside and cause pads to stay compressed. A vacuum bleeder works great to pull all the air out of the lines. did you use brake paste 001-989-94-51-12 on the back and edges of the pads and other rub points?

rumb
68 250S, 77 450SEL 6.9, 91 300SE, 98 SL500, 14 CLS550

Go to Top of Page

fredmoss

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  06:43:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim
Ive had the reverse judder issue before and had to have the axle housing machined and rebuilt etc in Germany, not done many miles since so hopefully no wear there but will recheck.

quote:
Originally posted by james lawson

A couple of things to check. Brake hold down bearings ,grease them, though itís usually backing up. Brake hold down bushings at the other end of the arm. They look like small sway bar bushings. Loose caliper? Differential mount in trunk area.

jim

Go to Top of Page

mpmorris

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  11:30:00  Show Profile  Visit mpmorris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also and in addition to the aforementioned -if the slip joint/sliding joint sleeve is on the way out, the right axle/wheel will will have excess play in the 12:00/6:00 position which will allow the brake rotor to push the brake pads back into the calipers -independent of the axle housing/caliper brake strut mounting. you can determine this by raising the right rear wheel, put your hands at the 12/6 o'clock position, and see if there is play like a loose wheel bearing -just as if the front wheel bearings are loose-. if there is excessively play you have a sliding sleeve ready to blow out -if there is minor play, you have a sliding sleeve that is cracked.
mpm
Go to Top of Page

AgSilver

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  14:15:25  Show Profile  Visit AgSilver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So many of the existing sliding sleeves inside the homokinetic joint are cracked/damaged it's hard to imagine. Several years ago I totally destroyed (pulverized) mine during an exuberant moment. Today I am somewhat more judicious with throttle application. Fortunately, I still have one NOS joint and sleeve on the shelf - - - just in case.

Steve

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Niederheimbach, Germany
W109 6.3(6.5)
E55K AMG
CLK63 AMG Gone
Ferrari 400GTC4 Gone
ML400CDI BiTurbo
ML350 CDI BlueTEC
9146GT Gone
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06